Sunday, December 17, 2006

Intergenerational mobility in the arts

One of the many joys of parenthood is watching your children do things that you can not.

Having spent the weekend attending my sons' various Christmas performances, I've decided that artistic ability has no genetic basis.

My oldest son "Gus" plays the violin with remarkable proficiency. To the left is a picture of him playing with his chamber strings group at a local mall as part of Christmas entertainment.

My youngest son "Floyd" loves to dance and peform in front of others. Beelow is a a picture of him in today's Nutcracker performance.

Me? As a kid I was in one dance performance--part of kindergarten graduation--and I left my partner to pick up a worm out of the grass. (It was a pretty big one, so I thought worth examining). In fourth-grade choir, they gave me a musical triangle to bang at a key point during the performance, but I was told that I should not sing otherwise, to give my total concentration to waiting for the right cue.

No comments: