I'm a sucker for good self-help ideas... Here's an essay that offers suggestions on what to do so that you can "look back on a life that fills you with joy."
It offers the following principles:
- Don’t chase money, power, or status.
- Take whatever time you need to discover what matters to you most.
- Don’t base your choices on others’ approval.
- Stay authentic.
- Go for meaning over money every time.
- Be endlessly greedy—for learning.
- Make a friend of failure.
- Make sure that every time you make a mistake, it’s a new one.
- Choose to spend your time with the right people.
- Drop whatever is inconsistent with these principles.
I am struck by the similarities of these principles to those in the book of Proverbs...