Sunday, July 04, 2010

Thoughts from Ortberg

Also from John Ortberg, more ideas of how to do Christianity.

"Instead of making vows about how my spiritual life will be perfectly well organized until I die, I seek to surrender my will for just this day. I look for small graces. I try to engage in little acts of service. I pray briefly to accommodate my limited attention span. I look for ways of being with God that I already enjoy. I try to go for half an hour without complaining. I try to say something encouraging to three people in a row. I put twenty dollars in my pocket that I will give away during the day. I take a five-minute break to read a page of great thoughts." (P. 71).

Wow...

8 comments:

Mark said...

Great quote. I always wonder, though, if this is just a way to be satisfied with doing the "little things," rather than the big things that we are called to do. Not that I personally am even doing the little things...

Brad Wright said...

Maybe the big things aren't truly possible unless we're first doing the little things?

Mike Crowl said...

Hi Bradley, what book is this a quote from?

Inchristus said...

I believe someone (concerned about the details like the number of hairs on our head or the dying of sparrows) once said "Whoever is faithful in little will be faithful in much."

Hum....Thanks JO and BW!

Brad Wright said...

Yes, thank you, Inchristus...

Mike, it's from his new book "Me"

Mike Crowl said...

Okay, thanks for that, Bradley. I'll check it out further.

Anonymous said...

Mark said...
"...I always wonder, though, if this is just a way to be satisfied with doing the "little things," rather than the big things that we are called to do."

Life is all about the little things. Be very careful about those big things you claim we are being called to do because it may be your own ego doing the calling and not God.

Pastor Greg said...

Great quote that challenges us to be more incarnational in our Christianity. I don't often have the $20 but here are a couple I am going to try.

"I try to go for half an hour without complaining.
I try to say something encouraging to three people in a row."