Friday, January 11, 2008

Thoughts about grading

Over the holidays, Day Myers posted some interesting thoughts about grading.

When I started off teaching, I thought that tough grading was the way to go to get the students to learn. Now, I tend to consider grades as less important, and, like Dan, have sought otherways of motivating students. Yes, if the grading is too hard or too easy it interferes with learning. But, within the wide range of the middle, grades don't seem to do much.

From Dan Myers...

"I don't think it is a good way to motivate students to actually engage with the material and in fact, I think it distracts them from what we really want to happen in a course and focuses them on grade grubbing instead. I hate that and have tried a variety of ways of reducing their attention to the grade and increasing it to the material."


No comments: