Friday, June 06, 2008

Um, I think that you have something to tell me, part II

Last week I posted about a terrifyingly effective method of obtaining confessions in romantic relationships.

Well... it gets worse. Law enforcement officials have discovered this method too.

Earlier this week I was driving up to New Hampshire to go hang gliding. It's about 2.5 hours away, and within a couple miles of the hill, I passed a very slow driver in a double-yellow-line section of the road. I looked up to see a police car with its lights on several cars behind me, and I knew I was busted.

I pulled over, the police officer came to the window, and what did he ask? "Do you know why I pulled you over?" Yes, an ambiguous prompting to confession, just like "um, I think that you have something to tell me." And it worked well, very well.

I laughed and said that I passed a car on a double-yellow line. He agreed and turned to go back to his car, but I wasn't done confessing.

I told him that I was also driving too fast, and that I passed that car because I was approaching it too quickly and didn't want to slam on my brakes.

He grunted and went back to his car, probably hoping that that would stop the confessions.

When he came back, returning my license and registration, he said that "driving too fast is always the wrong answer" but that he appreciated my honesty, so he was just giving me a warning.

For once my utter inability to keep a secret worked out well....

1 comment:

Michael Kruse said...

You crack me up. You also apparently drive like I do. :)