Wednesday, February 03, 2010

In praise of clergy

As a follow up to Monday's post, I have long thought that clergy members are consistently among the most moral, loving people that I know. I had a conversation a few weeks ago that reminded me of this.

A local church as quite a bit of woods on its property, and it's not far from the high school. I was talking to the pastor, and he told me of going out into the woods and finding some high school kids smoking dope in a clearing. What did he do? Call the cops, yell at them, tell them to get out? No, he went to strike up a conversation to start "building a relationship" with them. His goal was to be a positive influence in their lives.

Cool.


3 comments:

Mark said...

Sounds like that pastor is one of the very few real Christians.

Building a relationship with dope smokers? What's next? Tax collectors?

Brad Wright said...

Tax collectors... :-)

I think there are plenty of real christians, they just have a bad pr person.

FRANCESCA said...

Nice to hear this - he did what Jesus would do. :)